So I come back to rehab after my ALS course (did I mention we both passed? :-D) and I find out that one of my patients destabilised over the weekend. I knew this because she had had bloods taken on Sunday. I asked my registrar, "What happened to Mrs. X?"
"Oh yeah, she was febrile on the weekend and she has a Pseudomonas UTI," came the reply.
"Oh dear. So what antibiotics have we got her on?"
"Ceftriaxone. We are waiting for the sensitivities."
...
...
My OS, "Haha, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it WON'T be sensitive. That's the funny thing about Pseudomonas...it is never sensitive to ceftriaxone."
Anyway, sure enough, no ceftriaxone sensitivities and only intermediate sensitivity to Timentin even. In the end I changed her to ceftazidime; hope she's better by tomorrow but it's no surprise she has been spiking fevers for the past two days T.T



Post a Comment